The summer is a great time to get outside and enjoy the sun. But sun exposure can also be damaging to your skin.
The sun's intense summer rays often mean that more of its harmful UV rays make contact with your skin, which can affect your skin's health and dull its glow.
This can lead to dryness and lack-luster complexion. Worse, it can lead to skin that feels tight, irritated and more prone to breakouts. That's why you need to take care of yourself and your glowing skin all summer long.
Here are 9 tips to help you achieve glowing skin this summer.
1. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. If you're wondering how to hydrate skin naturally, then look at what's in your cup.
Drinking plenty of water is one of the best ways to help your skin stay healthy in the summer. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. If possible, increase your intake to up to 10 glasses.
Additionally, make sure you're drinking enough during exercise or other physical activity. It's also helpful to limit the amount of beverages that are high in sugar or caffeine which can dehydrate the body.
Staying hydrated can also help keep your cells stay healthy and vibrant. In addition, drinking water will help reduce inflammation in the body, which can lead to acne.
2. Wash your face. Summer weather brings with it humidity and rising temps. This can lead to more sweat on your skin, open pores, and more dirt and oil on your hands from being outside. All of these things are a recipe for an acne outbreak for all skin types, and especially oily skin.
A regular cleansing step in your skin care routine is important because it will set the tone for good skin health. Use a gentle, non-drying face cleanser to avoid stripping away natural oils and moisture from your skin.
Wash your face each morning with a gentle cleanser is the perfect way to start your day and help you achieve glowing skin. Double cleansing at night can help keep your pores from becoming clogged. This can make your skin less prone to breakouts.
Rinsing with cold water can also add an anti-inflammatory benefit to your skin care routine. Plus a cold water rinse can feel refreshing on a hot summer day.
When looking for a brightening face wash, look for natural ingredients that promote glowing skin. For example, Panama Wood (which provides cleansing and moisturizing benefits) or Lemon Water (which is rich in Vitamin C).
3. Moisturize your skin daily. It might feel like your skin doesn't need extra moisture in the summer, but it does. The reality is the sun and exercise can leave even dry skin feeling depleted. Applying a hydrating moisturizer or nourishing face oil to your skin will help keep it moisturized and glowing.
If your skin is dry, dehydrated, or weakened from too much sun, look for a moisturizer that is clinically proven to hydrate skin. In addition to glowing skin, regular moisturization can help keep fine lines at bay.
Additionally, a moisturizer with polyphenol and phytosterol skin benefits is also good for reinforcing your skin protective barrier. Phytosterols also have skin brightening properties to give your skin a natural glow.
To ensure that you are applying the right amount of moisture to your skin, try this tip. Apply a small amount of cream or face oil to your skin. Wait a few minutes for the moisturizer to absorb into your skin, and then apply more if needed.
A weekly face mask that's designed to moisturize skin can also add hydrating and anti-inflammatory nutrients for glowing skin.
4. Protect your skin from the sun. Wear sunscreen every day, even when it’s cloudy outside! Sunscreen is an essential part of any summer skin care routine because it protects skin against UV damage. Sun damage can lead to premature aging, fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots on the face over time.
Remember to reapply your UVA/UVB sunscreen every 2-3 hours when you are outside.
If you're worried about getting enough vitamin D, consider taking a supplement. Supplements can be an effective way to meet your daily needs without exposing your skin to UV damage.
5. Wear sunglasses. Not only do they protect your eyes but also your sensitive facial skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays.
6. Exfoliate. Dead skin cells and impurities can accumulate on your skin, leading to clogged pores, breakouts, and a dulled glow. Try using a vegan gentle exfoliator or facial scrub to wash your face once a week. This will slough away those dead skin cells and reveal a fresh, radiant complexion. Regular exfoliation can also help your skin have a more even skin tone.
Be careful not to over-exfoliate, especially if you have sensitive skin. In fact, too much exfoliation for any skin type can irritate skin and lead to a broken skin barrier. That, in turn, can lead to acne and breakouts.
A chemical exfoliator or enzyme exfoliator can ensure you're getting the exfoliation benefits without causing your skin harm or compromising your skin barrier health.
7. Eat healthy, antioxidant-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables to nourish your skin and help it glow from the inside out. Antioxidants protect our cells from free radicals, which cause cellular damage, reduce your skin's glow, and lead to aging.
Foods high in antioxidants include bananas, blueberries, dark chocolate, spinach, sweet potatoes, and many other greens (see the full list). Besides helping your skin glow, these nourishing foods will also help your overall body health.
8. Get enough beauty sleep. This may seem obvious, but sleep is important for healthy skin. It's called beauty sleep for a reason! If you’re constantly running on fumes, your body (and skin) won't get the chance it needs to heal itself and restore its radiance.
Getting regular amounts of sleep can go a long way to helping your skin fight off free radicals and maintain its natural glow.
9. Exercise regularly. Many people associate exercise with weight loss, fat burners, or getting in shape. However, the benefits of exercise go way beyond this. Exercise is good for your skin too!
Exercise helps keep your skin stay healthy and glowing by promoting blood circulation and releasing endorphins. Exercise also improves your mood and can help fight stress which can be linked to acne.
Finally, research shows physically active people are at a lower risk of developing skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema.
and here are two more tips you can achieve natural, glowing skin for summer
Treat yourself to a mask. Using natural masks is another great way to detoxify your skin for a brighter glow. Regularly treating yourself to a face mask will help keep your skin dewy, radiant, and looking young.
Bananas can also help remove impurities and dead skin - especially important during the warm summer months. So don't forget to look to your fruit bowl for those important banana benefits for shiny hair and glowing skin. Add this natural banana face mask to your beauty routine for an extra glow.
Tone up your skin. Another important step in maintaining a youthful-looking complexion and glowing skin is to use toners. Toners are great for removing excess oil, dirt, and makeup that your cleanser was unable to remove from your face.
A good clarifying and cruelty-free toner is also great for hydrating and rebalancing your skin after cleansing. It can also help reduce the amount of acne-causing bacteria on your skin. It's a great addition to any vegan skincare routine.
maintain your glow into fall
So there you have it: nine different ways to get glowing skin for the summer. By making small adjustments to your lifestyle and skincare routine, you can keep your skin glowing and hydrated all summer.
Also, keep in mind that there is no one size fits all approach when it comes to beauty and skin care. What works for one person may not necessarily work for you, and vice versa. So pay attention to your skin and adjust your clean green beauty routine to make it work for YOU.