How many times have you heard people say you need antioxidants for glowing skin?
But what are antioxidants anyway? And do they really matter?
TLDL: Yes! With the right antioxidant-rich ingredients in your routine, healthy, glowing skin could be within reach.
We're here to help, and after today, you'll be an expert in all things antioxidant.
Buckle up – it's time to dive deeper!
What are antioxidants?
Powerful and natural compounds, antioxidants help protect your cells from the damage caused by free radicals.
Now you might be wondering what free radicals are. They're unstable molecules that are produced by our bodies when they are exposed to things like pollution, UV radiation, and other environmental factors.
These pesky unstable molecules then cause damage to our cells and DNA, leading to signs of aging, disease, and skin damage.
Enter our good friends, the antioxidants, which work by neutralizing free radicals and preventing them from causing harm to our cells.
They help to repair and protect the skin by promoting cell growth, reducing inflammation, and improving circulation.
How do antioxidants benefit the skin?
The main benefits of antioxidants include:
- Protecting against sun damage. UV radiation–– the most common cause of free radical damage––can lead to premature aging, discoloration, and skin cancer. Antioxidants work to reduce the risk of these harmful effects.
- Helps correct signs of skin aging. Oxidative stress slows the skin's natural repair process, breaks down collagen, and triggers inflammation. Antioxidants scavenge free radicals and help correct those visible signs of aging––giving you a healthy glow.
- Helps skin repair itself by fighting inflammation. Inflammation can cause irritation, redness, and acne. It also gets in your skin's way of renewing itself. There's even an emerging theory citing inflammation as a leading cause of cell aging. Left untreated, it can also lead to other skin problems. Antioxidants help to reduce skin inflammation, leading to an improved and healthier complexion.
- Improving skin texture and tone. Among the many texture-improving benefits of antioxidants: help promote cell growth, boost collagen production, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
What are the most common antioxidants?
- Vitamin C––helps brighten the skin, reduce inflammation, and improve collagen production. You can find vitamin C-rich Lemon Water in our Clarifying Toner and Natural Cleansing Gel.
- Vitamin E––known for its ability to protect against sun damage and improve skin texture. You can find Vitamin E in our creams and oils.
- Green tea––helps reduce inflammation, improve skin texture, and protect against sun damage. You can find green tea oil in our Nutritive Oil.
- Vitamin A––also known as retinol––helps smooth fine lines and improve skin tone. Banana Bio-actives, which contain Vitamin A, are known as a natural alternative to retinol. Kadalys Smoothing and Lifting Creams help improve the appearance of fine lines and improve skin tone––similar to retinol
- Resveratrol––most commonly found in the skin of grapes––helps protect the skin from UV damage and reduces inflammation.
- Banana bio-actives––packed with vitamins A, C, and E as well as polyphenols––are a cocktail of antioxidant powerhouses. In fact, banana bio-actives have more antioxidant power than argan oil or grape-seed oil. In fact, with 4,500 times the power of argan oil and 3,000 times the power of grape-seed oil, pink bananas provide some of the highest antioxidant activity among vegetable oils. You can find clinically proven banana bio-actives in every Kadalys product.
The bottom line
Antioxidants are powerful weapons for defending and protecting your skin so that it can be healthy and glowing.
Whether you’re looking to brighten your complexion, reduce inflammation, or fight signs of aging, incorporating antioxidants into your skincare routine can help you achieve your goals.
And don't forget to incorporate antioxidant-rich foods into your diet, too. They'll work with your skincare rituals to help your skin glow from the inside out.
The bottom line is that you can win the battle against free radicals and oxidative stress.
All you have to do is to give your skin a lot of love and ample antioxidants to glow your very best!